.htaccess file (pay attention to the dot at the beginning of the name) is responsible for Apache web server configuration and allows to apply these settings to specific directories on server.
Few task examples which can be performed by .htaccess file:
- Redirection from one page (domain, section) to another
- Restriction of files loading from external websites
- Restriction of general access to website for all or some specific visitors
- Specification of content that should be shown by browser when error appears (404, 500, 403)
- Creation IP adresses blacklist
How to create .htaccess file?
Step 2. Go to Domains management
Step 3. Select the website you need to create .htaccess configuration file into.
Step 4. Go to file manager
Step 5. Select your website directory.
Step 6. Create the file.